Benefits of Professional Skincare Products used after Facials
As therapists, a very common question that often arises from our clients is: “Why is it important to use professional products at home. Why can’t I just use my regular products or products which I can simply pick off the shelf at any retail store?”
Therapists and our Students undergo extensive training on the skin, how the skin works and the incredible results which different active ingredients have on the skin, causing activity. It is not just a simple application of cleansers and creams when doing a facial treatment. An in-depth skin analysis is performed to identify the areas of concern by listening to the client, asking the client questions looking at and touching the skin. According to these findings, the Therapist will then design a treatment plan to help improve any problem areas which are identified.
It is our duty as Therapists and students to educate our clients on the importance of using a professional skin care product at home. There is so much information readily available online, which is why therapists have to take responsibility to help clients understand what is happening to their skin and why a treatment plan specific to them is imperative.
Let me give you an example of what clients tell us in the treatment room:
The client decides which skin concerns they have. They go to their local retail store which has many varieties of skincare product options available and they select the product/s that they think may be right for them, straight off a shelf. They decide which product will help to improve their skin concern according to the description on products, because of good advertising, or a friend recommended to them based on what they use on their skin.
If we look at the facts around this scenario we can note that the majority of our clients are most likely NOT trained in skincare, dermatology or active ingredients in products.
I ask myself just how active a product can be when it is produced for mass purchasing off a shelf without professional recommendations. When our clients don’t have any in-depth knowledge of the skin, how is it possible that they can select a suitable product? Imagine all skincare products in retail stores contained active ingredients and could be selected by anyone…how much havoc could this create?
What will professional skincare products do for your skin?
- Professional skincare products will allow clients to maintain their results after having a professional skincare treatment in the salon or spa.
- This prepares the skin for more advanced treatments the next time they come to the salon or spa for a professional treatment.
- When a therapist recommends professional homecare, we look very specifically at what that individual client’s skin needs are at the time and recommend active products to improve and possibly correct or treat skin conditions.
- Therapists explain professionally to their clients how and when the products should be used for the best results.
- Professional skincare products also allow a client to prepare their skin for more advanced treatments like Micro needling or Advanced skin peels. These treatments can only be done once the skin is properly prepared to minimise any side effects or reactions on the skin.
- Professional skincare products will help the client to achieve a healthy skin condition and prevent the skin from deteriorating. Prevention is key in the skincare industry, because once the damage is done, it is a long process to reverse this damage.
- Using professional products in between professional facial treatments allows clients the flexibility to skip a month or two in between. This can assist with personal budget constraints, especially with the times we are living in. We all need to be conscious of spending and by using professional products at home you can maximise your results for longer.
- Professional products are more concentrated, so if your skin is in a healthy condition, you will use less product. The initial cost of professional products might be expensive, but becomes a cost-effective exercise, as the products will last longer.
- Professional products are results driven due to the high level of active ingredients therein.
- Clients do not need to start on a full range at once. They can slowly replace their existing products with a professional product, in that way the client does not feel overwhelmed with the cost of a full range of professional products.
Keeping all these great benefits in mind, next time you go for a facial treatment, do ask your therapist how professional products will benefit your skin. Your therapist will customise products to your specific needs for you to slowly but surely add to your skin regime.
Prevention and preserving your skin with the correct professional products is key in having healthy skin.
Glowing healthy skin boosts your self-confidence. Watch yourself glow and grow.